Full Name: Ratan Naval Tata
Famous for: Chairman Emeritus Of Tata Sons
Birth Date: December 28, 1937
Birthplace: Surat, India
Age: 80 Years
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Height: 1.78 M
Father Name: Naval Tata
Mother Name: Sooni Tata
Siblings: Noel Tata
Marital status: Single
Founder/Co-Founder of: Tata DoCoMo, Tata Teleservices
ABOUT RATAN TATA
EARLY LIFE AND CAREER OF RATAN TATA
Ratan Tata is the son of Naval Tata. His parents Naval and Sonoo separated in 1948 when he was ten years old and his younger brother Jimmy was seven years old. They both were raised by their grandmother Navajbai Tata.
He had done his schooling in Mumbai and Shimla. He has received bachelor’s degree in architecture with structural engineering from Cornell University in 1962, and the Advanced Management Program from Harvard Business School in the year 1975.
After completing his higher studies returned to India and turned down a job at IBM on JRD Tata’s advice and joined the Tata Group in the year1962.
He started his career with the Tata Steel division where he shoveled stones and worked with the furnaces along with the blue-collar employees. this was a difficult job for him it helped him gain a better understanding and respect for his family business.
In the year1971, he was appointed as the Director of National Radio and Electronics, which was in a bad state of 40% losses and only 2% of consumer market share. But after his taking charge of the company, company he gave its statistics an upward turn, he took the company from 2% of market share to 25%.
In the year 1977, he moved to Empress Mills, a struggling textile mill within the Tata Group. He introduced a plan for the company but the other executives in tata rejected it and the mill was shut down. Later, he was moved to the Tata Industries.
In the year 1991, J.R.D. Tata declared him as the new Chairman of the Tata Group of Companies. Many questions were raised regarding his ability to run the corporation. but under his leadership, Tata Group reached absolutely new heights which had never been experienced by the group earlier before. he transformed the management and vision of the company.
During the 21 years he led the Tata Group the revenue of the company grew over 40 times, and profit, over 50 times. Where sales of the group as a whole, overwhelmingly came from commodities when he took over, the majority sales came from brands when he exited.
He boldly got Tata Tea to acquire Tetley, Tata Motors to acquire Jaguar Land Rover and Tata Steel to acquire Corus. his initiatives turned Tata from a largely India-centric group into a global business, with over 65% revenues coming from operations and sales in over 100 countries.
On 28 December 2012, after turning 75 he appointed Cyrus Mistry as his successor, but for some reasons on 24 October 2016, Cyrus Mistry was removed as the Chairman of Tata Sons and Ratan Tata was made the interim chairman of the company.
HONORS AND AWARDS RECEIVED BY RATAN TATA
1. He has received Honorary Doctor of Business Administration in 2001 from Ohio state university.
2. He has received Medal of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay in 2004 by the government of Uruguay.
3. He has received Honorary Doctor of Technology in 2004 by Asian Institute of technology.
4. He has received International Distinguished Achievement Award in 2005 by B’nai B’rith International.
5. He has received Honorary Doctor of Science in 2005 and 2006 by the University of Warwick and IIT Madras.
6. He has received Responsible Capitalism Award in 2006 bt FIRST.
7. He has received Honorary Fellowship in 2007 by the London school of economics and political science.
8. He has received Inspired Leadership Award in 2008 by the performance theatre.
9. He has received Honorary Doctor of Law in 2008 by University of Cambridge.
10. He has received Honorary Citizen Award in 2008 by the government of Singapore.
11. He has received Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire United Kingdom in 2009.
12. He has received Life Time Contribution Award in Engineering in 2009 by Indian national academy of engineering.
13. He has received Hadrian Award World Monuments Fund in 2010.
14. He has received Legend in Leadership Award in 2010 by Yale University
15. He has received Honorary Fellow in 2011 by the royal academy of engineering.
16. He has received Sayaji Ratna Award in 2014 by the Baroda management association.
17. He has received Honorary Doctor of Business from Singapore management university in 2014.